What could be better than getting paid while doing what you love? Partnering with brands can provide a plethora of benefits for the content creator. However, with millions of streamers across a multitude of platforms all vying for the attention of both viewers & brands it can be difficult to identify a strategy or starting point.
While the amount of viewers you have is pivotal to attracting the attention of brands, that isn’t the entire story! The following questions can help you determine your value proposition for a potential brand partner. (Remember that term, it’s a juicy one!)
- How many people does my content reach (across all platforms) on a weekly/monthly basis?
- What is the growth rate of my channel? How many unique viewers do I have on a weekly/monthly basis?
- What is the engagement rate of my viewers? If I were to post a promotional link, how many of them would check it out?
- What are the general demographics of my viewers? (Interests, general age, etc)
- How explicit/young viewer friendly is my content?
- How easy is it for brands to approach me? Is my contact information easily accessible?
If you answered each question truthfully you'll have determined the general strengths and weaknesses of your stream; now what? I could spew some vague sage wisdom that would technically be correct, but I’d much rather offer you some concrete options that you could begin pursuing right now. So, let’s get crackin!
- You currently have low viewership/overall engagement across your social platforms (Less than 10 concurrent viewers on average)
- This can be a blessing in disguise! Take this time to iron out your brand image in order to create a consistent presence across all platforms. That means your logo/profile pic, your brand colors, your stream/social information, etc. Observe what other successful streamers are doing and emulate that level of professionalism in your own style!
- Successful content creators don’t swing in the dark. What type of content creator do you want to be? In our interview with FightinCowboy he stated that he wanted to recreate the tutorial experience found in game store walkthroughs. What is this for you?
- The Botisimo Sponsorship Program is a fantastic place to start when it comes to tracking/analyzing your growth as your stream grows in size. Not only that, but you’ll begin to generate more and more money through the program as you grow. Pretty sweet!
- You have built a solid brand and currently have low to medium viewership numbers. (10-50 concurrent viewers on average)
- Whether you know it or not you have a content creator strength that is attracting people to your content! Your first mission will be to identify these strengths. Your strength(s) could be your humor, your consistency, your game knowledge, or any number of other traits. These are going to be your calling cards when it comes to attracting brands to your channel.
- The more you hone your strength the more powerful you will become as a content creator! If your stream revolves around skilled gameplay you could consider adding an WASD/input overlay so viewers can watch your inputs. Or, if your stream is very viewer-interaction focused you could try playing Jackbox or something similar. The more you hone your strength the more you will differentiate yourself from other streamers.
- The Botsimo Sponsorship Program offers an extraordinary amount of value for the medium-sized streamer. Not only will you be able to generate a solid chunk of change, but the performance data that you will collect through the program will be invaluable when reaching out to individual brands for sponsorship opportunities.
- You have a relatively large viewership & are extremely confident in the brand you have created for yourself. (50+ concurrent viewers on average)
- From a viewership perspective alone you are very attractive to brands looking to sponsor content creators. In short, the ball is now in your court. What type of brand would you like to work with? What partnership could your viewers get behind? Check out what brands other large streamers are working with and begin to amass a list of potential partners.
- It’s time to begin reaching out to some brands! I’d recommend putting together an email template that introduces your brand, details your stream/social platform numbers, and highlights your strengths as a content creator. Once you’re confident that your email properly details how awesome your stream is begin sending it to the brands you’d like to work with! Be professional, persistent, and patient. It’s only a matter of time before you break through to one or multiple interested brands. (Find contact emails on brand websites, DM brands on Twitter, etc)
- You knew it was coming; The Botisimo Sponsorship Program is fantastic for large streamers as well! Not only can you generate a significant amount of money through the program, but as stated in the medium-sized streamer section the data collected through the program provides potential advertisers with a more in depth understanding of your brand and the expected performance of a partnership deal. The more confident a brand is in the value you provide the more willing they will be to draft up a contract!
Whew! That was quite a bit of information to digest, but if there’s one thing to take away from this article it’s that everything can be broken down into individual achievable steps.
Will Smith said it best, ““You don’t try to build a wall. You don’t set out to build a wall. You don’t say ‘I’m going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that’s ever been built.’ You don’t start there. You say ‘I’m gonna lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid,’ and you do that every single day, and soon you have a wall.”
Good luck & happy streaming!